In order to install the AdventureWorks databases, all that’s required is to attach them in SQL Server Management Studio.
- Go to Start | All Programs | Microsoft SQL Server 2012, and click
SQL Server Management Studio.
- Copy the MDF files to a folder where you want to store the attached databases. A recommended location is with the rest of the databases in SQL Server 2012, in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA folder.
- Be sure to check the MDF files are not blocked after downloading. To do this, right-click each MDF file, click
Properties, and if there’s an Unblock button in the
General tab, below the Advanced button, click it to unblock.
- In SSMS, type the name of the server (or localhost if on the same machine), and click
- In Object Explorer, right-click the Databases node, and click
- Click Add, and then browse and select the MDF database file. Click
- Select the entry that’s of Log File Type in the database details, and click
- Click OK to attach the database.